Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Cookie Challenge

This is not the sort of challenge I think you are expecting. Not how many cookies you can bake, not how many you can eat, not the best recipe, but very disappointingly; how can you enjoy them without having to try a new fad diet in January.

It seems like every year people talk about going on diets when the new year rolls around after all their holiday indulgences. I was thinking about this since my weight is just about where I want it and I don't want to have to lose holiday pounds come 2009. I also have wanted to work on getting in better shape (no pun intended).

My goal for December is going to be to try and get a good walk in every day, except for Sunday. I'll probably stick to walking, but if you would like to join the challenge, you can do whatever works best for you: running, dancing, ice skating, snowball fights, skiing, etc. And you don't have to do the same thing each day. The idea is to get in some good exercise each day and bump up the calories you'll be burning.

I don't suppose that means you can eat whatever you want, but let's face it, this is a feast time and there are just more calories to be consumed, even if you partake judiciously. (I'm sorry about using that word, it does rather throw a damper on things.)

I'll post each day and you can leave a comment reporting in on your status. Let's try not to turn it into an excuses column, but keep each other motivated. "I couldn't walk today because the weather was awful, and I had to run into town - but I was determined to keep up so I danced with my sister for ten minutes. I'm sure it added to my enjoyment of those cream puffs." See what I mean?

I thought it would be extra fun if I did it with others. You can set your own pace, and do what works for you. Would you like to join?

3 comments:

TW said...

My grandmother is in town visiting and she doesn't do the hills around here, so we walk around our gently sloping circle. We did about four rounds and then came inside for a cup of hot Ginger Ale and then tea.

Fogwood214 said...

This is perfect timing. I read this right after coming in from The First Walk with Little K in his new stroller. Believe it or not, I still have about 10 pounds I need to lose from the pregnancy. :-P S and I have been walking together, because she wants to get back in the habit of walking longer.

On Dec 1 we walked about half a mile. :-D

TW said...

I'm so glad you and S are doing it too! It makes it very much more fun when you're not the lone ranger. :)