Saturday, March 5, 2011

Simplicity....


Something I've come to appreciate over the years is, that sometimes less is better. I still love things that are beautifully decorated, but that doesn't mean you have to have a lot to do it. While I appreciate many different decor styles, I tend to like things that are classic and stately. However, I think the simplicity of modern is growing on me, not in its traditional adaptation, but rather using fewer classic and stately elements.

What it boils down to, is I like things CLEAN! And if you have to move a dozen things on a shelf to dust, that can get a bit tedious. If you have to move closer to two or three dozen things to clean a bathroom, that is really tedious. Believe me. (It's what brought this whole thing to mind)

So one of the things I'm trying to keep in mind, and hopefully won't forget as it draws a little bit closer to decorating our room/upstairs, keep things simple! Not modern, because that will just never do, but simple. Forgo the majority of knick knacks, bobbles, etc., for pieces that are attractive as well as functional.

You will always have to dust, forbearing some miraculous scientific breakthrough, and some of the decorating ideas I have in mind will require a little extra effort as far as moving things to cleab, but sometimes the extra effort is worth it. I just don't want to have to move a dozen things on every surface before dusting. I personally (generally) take pleasure in good housekeeping, but at the same time, I don't want to be a slave to it. That, I think, takes the joy out of it real quick.

What do you think? More time dusting and enjoying lots of knick knacks, or keeping things simple

No comments: