Monday, March 21, 2011

Mirrors

I think the best style piece you can own is a full length mirror. Not having one has actually been one of the more frustrating parts of living in the Blue Castle. Shocking? It is, however, true.


For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. I Corinthians 13:12 KJV


Okay, I realize I might be taking great liberties with context, but then again, maybe not.

What if you can see the top of your outfit, or the bottom half of your outfit, but not the two together? Are you going to be able to see yourself as others see you? A full length mirror helps you connect the two, to see the whole picture. But then shall I see, even also as I am seen. (Am I in left field?)

This can be as important to dressing modestly as it is to dressing stylishly. Seeing the whole picture is also how everybody else sees us!

Style and fashion books often tell you to get a full length mirror, and they are right. Also, check the front and back of your outfit. If you are confident your wardrobe is modest, that might not be what you have to look for (though double checking and keeping it in mind is a good idea), but you should still cast an eye over your outfit to look for overall aesthetic for the accessories you’ve chosen and look for loose threads, stains, hemlines coming undone, etc. You never know, maybe the shoes or necklace you chose and thought would look darling, don’t have the same affect you thought they would.

Do you have a full length mirror where you double check your outfit choices? At the moment I don’t, and it is frustrating. You never know what you have until you don’t have it anymore….


T.W.

No comments: