Thursday, February 16, 2012

Update on Life

I suppose, after all the hullaballoo that surrounded the Blue Castle, I should give an update on what we are doing. Life is still an adventure! Behind us is the undertaking of living in the middle of a remodel project with only cold running water, no showers, and little insulation on the walls during a cold winter, but life is still, shall I say rustic?

We have sort of moved back to the property we left about two years ago, and are now “camping” in the if-I-really-stretch-it-I-can-call-it-a-three-room-cabin. A few of the kids continue to “bunk” down on the property, but showers, cooking, etcetera is done in the cabin. It’s interesting. We expect the “redneck” plumbing job to go out at any time, but I am so grateful that it has lasted thus far. In that light, I am even more grateful for a mild winter.

Except for a few possessions, beds, a few cooking things, some clothes and such, everything is in storage until a more permanent solution can be found to our housing situation. I’m not sure I remember what it is like to have drawers, and a closet, or even a bedroom, and a real kitchen seems like bliss! I’ve learned some really great things through this experience (really, I have!), I appreciate living with a lot less “stuff,” and I realize how much more freedom is possible when things aren’t cluttering your life. That being said, it would be so nice to have an actual place to organize “few possessions.” I’m just saying. There’s no place like home. You ain’t a’kidding me.

Okay, so the goal is to sell our country property and buy a place in town, but these things can be complicated. I have to say, though I don’t deny the situation is difficult and I would love to be settled in a home so every day living isn’t as difficult, I’m very grateful that we have a warm place this winter. It is especially nice since we seem to have had one cold after another for over two months. I don’t deny that it is a distinct possibility that the stress of everything going on has been hard on our immune system. I’m just trying to have a good attitude through it all and take one day at a time!


In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Yi’ah.
(That is a sound, not a word. I’m hoping I didn’t just swear in Arabic or something.)


I am content.

Perhaps that isn’t exactly the right word, but I think it expresses the correct feeling. While I truly desire a more stable living situation, I feel content with where we are. What I cannot change, I must accept.

“Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”


It isn’t always easy. While some might think I sashay through life blissfully ignorant of the problems around me and doing little to correct it, I’m not. I’m very aware of the problems, the stresses, the pressures that are simmering in my vicinity. I don’t always have a good attitude and sometimes I get very frustrated. You might not see it though, because I try to keep it inside. That doesn’t mean I’m always grumpy and just hiding it, usually I’m pretty at peace with things, but sometimes they really get to me. It is hard watching my family struggle because of a lot of factors (beyond our living situation as well), that make this a difficult journey. As a sister and daughter, I wish there was some way I could make things easier, but I can’t. But I think it’s better this way, and here’s why:

We called our school, Cocoon École (English translation of École: school) and perhaps this is a time of struggling, just as the butterfly in order to show its splendor and beauty after growing in secret must work to come forth in order to build its strength for flight, so this is a time to build our character and strength for life. If I could wave a wand (or somebody would!), it would also be robbing us of the ability to fly; to fly high and far!

Now, I’d like to think that because I’ve tried to be positive, and “change the things I can,” I’ve at times been an influence for good things happening. Well, a girl can dream can’t she?

The family has stood together through some pretty tough times. For some it has been harder than others, but I really appreciate that everyone tries. No, we don’t always get it right, but when difficult times come calling, we draw together. That is a blessing from God in the midst of difficulties.

God never promised life would be an easy journey, he did say, “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5.

Well, I guess that's an update! :)

T.W.

No comments: