Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Valentine's Note for My Grandmother

I thought it would be ever so nice to send my grandmother a Valentine's Day card, but I also had been wanting to write her a nice newsy letter. So I decided to combine the two.

Taking a plain 8 1/2" x 11" piece of copy paper I went to sit down at the dining table and adorn it. I was going to break down and do it very Valentine'ish, but when it came right down to it, I just could bring myself to put hearts on the paper. Hearts and I, we just don't mesh well. Which is probably a very good reason not to have a Valentine, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind chocolates. And flowers.

Anyway, says the Irish girl, I couldn't bring myself to do hearts. So sitting down, pulling color pencils from the cupboard, I was inspired by the china cake plate sitting on the table with the Briar Rose pattern on it. So I rendered its likeness, taking liberty with the pattern, in colored pencils. And being the Irish girl that I am, when I say newsy, I mean it, and I had to add some quick pink touches to a second piece of paper in to order to fit all I had to say. But that I didn't photography. Across the top I wrote in rose pink: Happy Valentines Day.

I'm going to have to remember to sketch more, I like it. Really, I do. I find it very relaxing. Come spring and wildflowers, I must make time for it.

4 comments:

Fogwood214 said...

Absolutely lovely!

Hannah Moss said...

That is the most beautiful Valentine's Day card I've ever seen! :D

TW said...

Thank you!

AM said...

It's lovely!