Monday, July 21, 2008

Natural Facials

I’ve tried both honey and baking soda as facials before, but wasn’t overly enthusiastic about the results. I have continued to use baking soda, since it helps some, and it certainly didn’t seem to be any worse than the commercial products.

I rediscovered honey and baking soda and now have a very favorable opinion! In the not too distant past, my face was giving me serious trouble and company was coming in a few days and a trip to town wasn’t imminent, so I did I a quick internet search and found honey and baking soda among the most common homemade facials. Well, I’d tried that before, but there was some application instructions that piqued my attention and gave me hope.

Here’s the gist of what I did:

Morning: Using a wash cloth I ran it under hot water and wrung it out, and held it over my face, pressing it gently against my skin, repeating multiple times to really warm the face and open up the pores. Next, I applied honey in a mask, avoiding the eye area. I really don’t have problem with the stickiness on my face - as long as nothing touches it. Make sure your hair is pulled securely away from your face! Leave on for 15 minutes. Wash off with tepid water and rinse face with cold water to close pores.

Evening: Run a wash cloth under hot water, pressing to problem areas, refreshing cloth in water several times to keep it hot. Again, make sure the area is warm and the pores have had a chance to open. Make a paste in your hand of baking soda and a few drops of water till about the consistency of cream (I find a thinner consistency works best. Too thick and it just doesn’t seem to work as well), apply to blemishes. Let dry for 15 minutes. Wash off, rinse with cold water. If you want to know a fact, I have left the baking soda mixture on all night, but the 15 minutes works and it doesn’t dry and fall off all over your pillow and you worry about getting it in your eyes.

Repeat this routine for a week, or until your face is clear, then periodically for problem areas. And if you’re really having trouble, you could do both facials twice daily.

I’ve been very happy with the results. I was only trying to get my face back under control, but realized a goal I’ve had for a long time – not having to wear concealer (foundation) all the time!

The key to the success of this facial routine is making sure your face has been warmed up enough with the water. Another something you can do is rather than using the warm water, steam your face for a quick five minutes over a bowl of boiled water, with a towel draped over your head. Quickly pat with a dry towel to remove excess moisture from the steam and then apply the honey or baking soda immediately. Perfect for early in the morning before anyone else has bestirred themselves. And did you know five minutes is just perfect for brewing a cup of tea to sip while your facial works?

No comments: