Thursday, April 24, 2008

Carrot Filling

1 cup finally grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans
5 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 scant teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
A couple pepper grains and a few drops of Soy Sauce

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and serve in sandwiches on whole wheat bread.

You can substitue walnuts for the pecans and use lemon juice instead of the vinegar. I have always used lemon juice but for want of that ingredient I substituted vinegar the other day to very good effect.

I found a variation of this recipe awhile ago in an old cookbook and have made it several times since. I'm so glad I tried it in the first place in one of my more experimental moods. Even if you don't like carrots, I suggest you try it, at least once. I served it at a tea at my grandmothers once and a lady less than fond of carrots found it quite enjoyable. That time I also used lightly toasted white bread and then prepared as usual for tea sandwiches.

I think it would be very vintage served as a late night snack with hot chocolate. I have not tried this last one yet, but I shall have to remember it. Of course in order for it to sound like it might come straight out of a vintage novel, I suggest that all parties partaking first live a very exciting and harrowing existance (which of course includes spies) culminating in the capture of the bad guys and then have servants serve these sandwiches on silver platters while everyone listens to the hero explaining what exactly happened while a hot fire crackles, chasing away the chills of the stormy night. He also must occassionally turn to smile at his beautiful girl, which of course after a stormy relationship, they have just come to an understanding when he rescued her a few hours earlier from the perilous perfidy of one of the spies.

Well, sandwiches and hot chocolate I might be able to manage. The perils and stormy night would come readily enough.....


...it's the servants and silver platter that might be difficult to arrange.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

LOL!! This was hysterical! I should try the recipe! (Servants, TW? Couldn't sisters work just as well? ;)